Sunday, March 6, 2011

My favorite part about the toy drive is the honest, open talks that Hayden and I have after we drop off the toys. It makes it all worth it. This year, as we talked to Hayden, he was able to really express how he was feeling. He has such a caring, big heart. Before I asked, Hayden spoke up and said, "Mom, I feel so good inside. The Holy Ghost is telling me that we are doing a good thing. I know that I am helping kids by collecting toys. When I am in the hospital, I will work harder to get well, if I know that I can choose from the toy closet. I hope that because of these toys, some of the kids in the hospital will choose to try harder to get well. Then, it will be such a good thing that we did the toy drive. I think we should keep doing the toy drive."

My heart was touched. My son was able to express, without help, the feelings that most definitely did come from the Holy Ghost. As we started the toy drive, it was to, in a small way, pay back all those that had helped out with Hayden. Each year, as we drop off the toys, I realize that although, our hearts are in it for the children that are in the hospital and their parents, in the end, our family is ultimately the one that benefits from the toy drive. Our home has the spirit of giving, Hayden is learning the importance of service and giving and right before Christmas, the Holy Ghost and Spirit of Christmas is alive in our hearts.

Our testimonies are strengthened. Our hearts are filled with love and gratitude. I am so thankful for this wonderful opportunity that we have been presented with. We are so very blessed. And, by the way, this is the first year that Hayden has not received a toy from Hayden's Toy Drive... it was his first year without any hospital stays... words cannot express my gratitude.

No comments: