Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hayden's Toy Drive Drop Off

Suzi, Thomas, Hayden and I all drove out to Phoenix Children's Hospital on December 23rd. It is such a great feeling to drop off the toys. It is so worth it but it does take a tremendous amount of time and work. I will admit that on different days during December I question my sanity and if the toy drive is worth it. When we drop off the toys, there is no doubt in my mind that this is such a great thing for our family.
As we talked with the volunteers at Child Life, we thanked them for the difference they make each day in the life of the children in the hospital. I am so grateful for all they have done for Hayden. Each hospital stay, ER visit and procedure undergone, has been so much easier due to the wonderful, caring and loving staff of PCH. I am so grateful for the little things they do to make the hospital as comforting and less scary as possible. It makes all the difference. I am glad that we can have a small part in paying them back.
As I stood back at the pods, I remembered so many stories that people told, why they donated, why they cared and the difference it made. I realized, standing there, that it isn't about the big stuff, it was the little things, the toy, the smile, the kind pat on the back, it is the little touches that make the biggest difference in these children's lives. As I stood there, I looked at my son and husband and realized that it is the little things in our lives that make the biggest difference, and the hospital definitely has made some of Hayden's health issues more bearable and put such a positive influence in our lives.

Hayden loves the attention. He loves that they ask him about his stays in the hospital, the little things that mean the most to him, and why he wants to help other children. As I watched him speak, I was so impressed. He is becoming so good at articulating his words and explaining why we do this. He understands that he is making a difference. And, he loves the way it makes him feel.
Thanks to all for another very successful toy drive. I am looking forward to hearing the stories about the children that received the toys and the difference it made to them. We are always blessed to get to hear the good. Especially for Hayden's sake, I am very grateful.

No comments: