Thursday, March 8, 2012

Delivering the toys to PCH - 2011

This was my favorite year EVER delivering toys to PCH. We were so lucky and received permission for our kids to hand out toys to the kids that were sick. What an amazing experience. There are not words to describe what an incredible day that was.
Brooklyn gave coloring book, crayons and a stuffed animal to this little girl that was hooked up to a dialysis machine. She wouldn't talk, but was all smiles. The feelings I felt were so intense that I had to struggle to hold back tears of joy and gratitude.
Hayden was able to deliver toys to Leo, his new dialysis buddy. Leo was all smiles as Hayden tried to talk to him. He was in heaven that another boy would work so hard all year to collect toys for him and the other kids. I fell in love with Leo and oh how I would love to go sit with him and read or play with him. He was such a cutie.
Even Austin loved Leo. I loved watching the tenderness come out of Hayden for Leo. He sincerely asked Leo how he was, what he liked, what he asked Santa for and took a real interest in how Leo was handling his hospital stay. Hayden has a touch with these kids. Probably because he has spent so much time with doctors and hospitals, he understands. I was so proud of him.
After we delivered toys, Ashley took the time to talk to Hayden, Brooklyn and Brinley about these kids. The kids we gave toys to have to come to the hospital every other day for 4 hours to have their blood cleaned. Hayden's face says it all, his jaw dropped and said that he needed to collect more toys so Leo and his friends wouldn't be bored.
We were also able to tour the hospital, we were treated like celebrities and taken all over to see the ins and outs of how Child Life and PCH Foundation pull off Christmas for the kids. While there, Willy Bloomquist from the Arizona Diamondbacks was handing out Kindle fires, Nintendo DS consoles and Leapsters. The staff went up to Willy and explained to him that Hayden ran Hayden's Toy Drive and has collected over 12,000 toys for the kids in the hospital and over 2,000 this year. Willy told Hayden what a great thing he was doing and how wonderful he was. He told Hayden thanks for helping him out and making his job easier. Hayden loved every minute he spent with Willy.
Willy with Hayden and Austin. He was so, so good talking to them about being generous and taking care of others. I think he made a lasting impression on Hayden. Hayden felt so good about himself and the work that he does to raise toys and money for the kids in the hospital. It was so special.
I had an incredible day. I almost felt like I had my own, "It's a Wonderful Life" experience. The Lord allowed me to see the difference that we are making. He allowed me to see what others say about me and what they think about me. He showed me that in my own small way, that I do make a difference in life. I will be forever grateful for this day and the lessons that I learned. I felt as if the Lord gave me a huge hug. What a feeling! What a high! What an awesome experience.

1 comment:

ArizonaGirlie said...

My daughter had to go through a pretty invasive procedure today, which can be very scary when you are so little. Towards the end of the procedure, she was asked by the doctors to void out all of the liquid that had been pumped into her bladder. Being that her bladder was so full, she was in pain and was afraid to pee. She was extremely upset. The nurses told her that they had a very special surprise for her if she could do it. My daughters LOVES My Little Ponies, which is exactly what they had waiting for her. I want to thank Hayden for collecting all of these toys! Because of Hayden, Addie was able to overcome her fear and make it through her procedure. What you are doing for these children is amazing. Thank you for thinking of others and for making the day of my little girl!